Updated: Sep 27
If you have a pet who likes to feast on their "greens", are you worried about them eating plants and flowers that are harmful to them? No one wants their pet to get sick from eating toxic plants, but that is no reason to stay away from plants altogether. There is a way for you to have a beautiful garden and a happy pet. First, learn what plants are harmful for pets. That can help you make sure your pet is safe. Second, there are plants and flowers that are completely harmless to pets. Filling your garden with these lovely choices will help ease your mind.
According to the Pet Poison Helpline, here are the top five poisonous plants to pets present in zone six:
1) The Autumn Crocus. This plant can cause “severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure.”
2) Azaleas. Azaleas can cause “vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling.” If not treated, the effects can be fatal.
3) True lilies, such as Tiger, Day Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies are very toxic to pets. Ingestion can cause severe kidney failure.
4) Daffodils. Ingesting the any part of the plant can cause “severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression."
5) Consumption of the Lily of the Valley can cause “vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures."
On the other hand, some of the best choices of non-toxic flowers and plants are asters, crape myrtle, coral bells, sunflowers, bee balms, houseleeks, creeping zinnias and roses. These plants are harmless to pets and will be stunning additions to your garden.
For the complete list of poisonous plants for pets, visit https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/basics/top-10-plants-poisonous-to-pets/ for more information. This can help you keep your pet safe from dangerous toxins lurking in your own backyard.